What's On This Page
Imagine strolling along a sun-drenched beach with the gentle breeze tousling your hair into perfect, tousled waves. The effortless beauty of beach hair has always fascinated people, and now, with the rising popularity of sea salt spray, it’s easier than ever to achieve the coveted tousled look.
In this article, we’ll dive into the magical world of sea salt spray and explore its many benefits for your hair. Sea salt spray adds volume and texture and conjures up natural-looking waves. It has become an indispensable styling product loved by hair lovers worldwide.
We look at how to make your own sea salt spray! We will set out to make a simple yet effective hair product. Don’t worry if you have no DIY beauty product experience; this post is easy to understand and follow. So, grab your mixing bowls and let’s get started!
Before we get to the recipes, let’s learn about the wonders of sea salt spray. It’s a versatile hair product that adds texture, volume, and a touch of whimsy to your locks, making it an essential part of many beauty routines.
Imagine being able to customize your sea salt spray just the way you like it. Depending on your hair type and desired hold, you can adjust the ingredients when you create your version. It’s also a great way to unleash your inner drugstore and embark on a creative adventure at home.
Are you ready to unlock the secrets of DIY sea salt spray? Want to discover the magic of a few simple ingredients that combine to create a hair product that will whisk you away to sun-drenched beaches? Then let’s start by gathering the necessary components and learning how to make your sea salt spray masterpiece step by step.
A little bit about sea salt
Sea salt is a versatile ingredient for culinary purposes and an excellent natural exfoliant and conditioner for hair and skin. Its rich magnesium content promotes sleep, an added benefit to its use. Sea salt also contains important minerals that nourish hair follicles and retain moisture. Whether you have coloured hair or not, sea salt can restore shine, stimulate hair growth and prevent dryness.
Benefits of Sea Salt Spray
Sea salt spray offers a range of advantages for achieving the perfect beach-inspired hairstyle. Here are some key benefits:
- Enhancing Texture and Volume
- Creating Effortless Waves
- Achieving a Natural Look
- Protecting Against Heat Damage
Ingredients and tools needed
You will need key ingredients to create your DIY sea salt spray. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Sea Salt: Choose high-quality sea salt, free of additives and chemicals.
- Purified Water: Opt for distilled or filtered water to ensure purity.
- Essential Oils (Optional): Consider adding a few drops of your favourite essential oil for fragrance.
- Spray Bottle: Find a clean spray bottle that can hold your sea salt spray mixture.
Combining these ingredients’ll make a fantastic sea salt spray that adds texture and volume to your hair.
Instructions for making DIY sea salt spray step by step: sea salt spray recipe
Here’s a step-by-step guide to making your own DIY sea salt spray:
- Combine 1 cup of sea salt and three tablespoons of yeast in a glass bowl.
- Add a few drops of olive oil to the mixture.
- Pour in 2 cups of warm water.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let it sit overnight in a dry, warm place.
- By morning, you should have a white, creamy consistency for your sea salt spray.
Adding coconut oil
For an added touch, you can add a small amount of coconut oil to your sea salt spray. This optional step can increase the thickness of the spray and give it a pleasant coconut scent, which is especially beneficial for those with dry or oily hair. Coconut oil adds shine and helps lock in moisture and prevent frizz. If you apply this mixture once a week, your hair and skin will have a smooth, thick and creamy texture, as if you fell asleep with wet hair.
Getting the right scent
You can add essential oils to the sea salt spray mixture to achieve a unique and pleasant scent. Add a few drops of your favourite essential oil or use a pre-made essential oil diffuser. Not only will this give your hair a lovely natural scent, but it will also enhance the overall experience as the scent lingers in the air and complements the effects of the salt spray.
Alternative options exist if you do not want to use a water-based spray. One option is to make a mixture of 1/3 cup sea salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 cup water. This variation adds a moisturizing element to the spray, giving your hair additional nutrients.
Why should I use Sea Salt Spray?
Sea salt spray offers numerous benefits that often go unnoticed. One of its remarkable properties is its ability to give your hair more volume and shine. Regardless of your hair type, curly or wavy, sea salt spray can be used safely without causing damage. More volume is crucial for healthy-looking hair, so why not take the opportunity to boost your curls?
Tips for Using Sea Salt Spray
For best results with your sea salt spray, follow these steps:
- Start with a Small Amount: Begin with a small amount of sea salt spray and gradually increase if needed to avoid overloading your hair.
- Experiment with Ratios: Adjust the ratio of sea salt to water to find the perfect formula for your hair type and desired level of texture.
- Use on Second-Day Hair: Sea salt spray works exceptionally well on second-day hair, absorbing excess oils and adding volume.
- Avoid Overuse: While sea salt spray can create a beautiful texture, using it excessively may cause dryness. Use it in moderation to maintain hair health.
When you use the product, you should part your hair. This technique can provide extra volume and shine and enhance the overall effect of the sea salt spray.
How to apply Sea Salt Spray
Follow these simple steps to get the most out of your sea salt spray:
- After towel drying your hair, spray on a few spritzes of sea salt spray. It works best when your hair is still slightly damp.
- Dry and style your hair thoroughly with a blow dryer, working in the sea salt spray.
- As a final touch, add a small amount of oil to the ends of your hair to enhance the overall look.
On straight hair
If you have straight hair, you can easily use sea salt spray here:
- Before blow drying your hair, apply a small amount of sea salt spray.
- Start at the roots of your hair and work your way down so that the spray is evenly distributed throughout your hair.
Sea Salt spray for curly hair
If you have curly hair, here’s how you can use sea salt spray effectively:
- Add a small amount of sea salt spray to each strand when styling your hair.
- To achieve volume, press your hands into the top of each section of hair and gently twist the strands towards the right side.
- Use your hands to press and lift the hair for even more volume instead of using the back of your fingers. This technique helps separate individual strands and enhances the “shine” effect.
By following these steps, you can make the most of sea salt spray for your curly hair, adding volume and enhancing the overall look.
On oily hair
If you have oily hair, sea salt spray can be a good option to achieve a clean and shiny look without washing your hair daily. Here are some tips for using sea salt spray on oily hair:
- A small sea salt spray is enough to achieve the desired effect. However, do not hesitate to be generous with the application to achieve optimal results.
- Sea salt spray makes your hair look shiny and well-groomed without weighing it down, making it the ideal choice for oily hair.
On wavy hair
Apply a small amount of sea salt spray to all strands of your hair before blow-drying. Rub it through the strands using your hands, and then use a blow dryer to finish drying and styling your hair.
After towel-drying your hair, add a few spritzes of sea salt spray. It works best when your hair is slightly damp. Use a blow dryer to completely dry and style your hair. To complete the look, you can add oil to the ends of your hair.
Spray a small amount of sea salt spray into your hands, then rub the product through your hair. Use a blow dryer to dry and style your hair as usual.
For thicker hair
When styling, apply more sea salt spray to each strand of hair to get thicker and fuller curls. Be sure to apply it only lightly to avoid clumps. Using a blow dryer instead of a hot air dryer, you can add extra volume to your curls to dry faster and curl less.
To use as a mask
Sea salt spray can also be used as a hair mask. To maximize the effect, ensure your hair is completely dry before applying the spray. Apply the sea salt spray from the hairline to the tips and leave it on for at least 20 minutes.
DIY essential oil spray for hair growth
Making a homemade essential oil hair growth spray is a natural and effective way to stimulate healthy hair growth. To make this spray, you need important ingredients that promote hair growth and nourish the scalp. Sea salt and other useful ingredients can increase the effectiveness of the spray.
First, assemble the following ingredients: Sea salt, a carrier oil such as coconut oil or jojoba oil, and essential oils known for their hair growth promoting properties, such as rosemary, peppermint or lavender oil. Sea salt is a natural exfoliant, promoting a healthy scalp and stimulating hair follicles by removing product buildup, opening pores and improving blood circulation.
In a spray bottle, mix one tablespoon of sea salt with a carrier oil of your choice. Add a few drops of essential oils known for their positive effects on hair growth. The carrier oil conditions the scalp and helps the essential oils reach the hair follicles. Shake the mixture well before each use so that the ingredients mix well.
To use the homemade essential oil spray for hair growth, spray it on your scalp and gently massage it with your fingertips. Leave it on for a few hours or overnight to allow the nutrients to penetrate the scalp and deliver nutrients to the hair follicles. For best results, include this spray in your hair care routine a few times a week.
First, apply sea salt spray to your damp hair to create beachy waves. Finger comb your hair and shape it into natural waves. Let your hair air dry or use a low heat diffuser attachment to enhance the waves. Once your hair is dry, gently tousle the waves with your fingers for a relaxed, effortless, beachy look. Be careful not to use too many products for a natural, textured look. Have fun with your DIY beach waves!
To achieve smooth waves, twist the ends of the hair during blow drying to complete the drying process.
Thick Waves (For Thick, Voluminous Beginnings)
Add a small amount of spray to damp hair to create thick waves. Then use your fingers or curling iron to form waves in the ends of the hair and blow dry to complete the drying process.
How often should I use Sea Salt Spray?
The frequency of using Sea Salt Spray is a personal choice. To achieve optimal results, it is recommended to use the spray once daily.
How to Store Sea Salt Spray
To store the sea salt spray, it is recommended that you transfer it to a glass bottle to preserve its integrity. Alternatively, you can store it in the original spray bottle. By using a glass container, you can ensure that the spray remains well preserved.
How long will Sea Salt Spray last?
The duration of the effectiveness of sea salt spray may vary depending on individual use. Consistent and prolonged use can achieve better results regarding increased volume and better hair condition. Therefore, using the spray longer is recommended to maximize its effect.
Can you use sea salt spray every day?
Yes, you can use sea salt spray every day if you want. You can incorporate it into your daily hair care routine without hesitation. However, you must observe how your hair reacts to the spray and adjust the frequency of use accordingly. Some people find that daily use of sea salt spray can cause dryness. Therefore, listening to your hair’s needs and providing adequate moisture and care is important.
Why I use Epsom Salt
I use Epsom salt for several reasons:
- Hair Nourishment: Epsom salt contains magnesium and sulphate, which nourish the hair. These minerals can help strengthen the hair strands and promote healthier-looking hair. Epsom salt’s sulphates can also reduce split ends and enhance hair texture.
- Scalp Health: Regular use of Epsom salt can benefit various scalp issues. It can help address dry scalp by moisturising and soothing the skin. Furthermore, it may assist in managing hair loss, greying hair, and dandruff when incorporated into a consistent hair care routine.
- Alternative Hair Treatment: Epsom salt is sometimes used as an alternative therapy for specific hair concerns, such as nappy head. While results may vary, some individuals find it helpful in improving hair manageability and overall appearance.
If you prefer ready-made options or want to explore different variations of sea salt spray, consider these alternatives:
Commercial Sea Salt Sprays
If you’re looking for US brands of sea salt sprays, here are a few options you can explore:
- R+Co Rockaway Salt Spray: This sea salt spray is designed to boost fullness and volume, making it ideal for fine hair.
- Sephora Collection Sea Salt Spray: Sephora offers a range of sea salt sprays to suit different hair types and styling needs. You can browse their selection online.
- Herbivore Sea Mist Coconut + Sea Salt Beach Wave Hair Mist: This natural sea salt spray contains coconut and sea salt to enhance texture and create beachy waves. It is available on various online platforms.
- Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray: Not Your Mother’s offers a variety of sea salt sprays that are easily accessible in the US. The Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray is popular for achieving that effortlessly tousled look.
- OGX Moroccan Sea Salt Spray: OGX offers a Moroccan sea salt spray that adds texture and body to the hair while providing a light, tousled finish. It is widely available in US stores and online.
- Pacifica Salty Waves Texturizing Spray: Pacifica’s Salty Waves Texturizing Spray contains sea salt, aloe vera, and chamomile extract to create beachy waves and add texture to the hair. It can be found in various US retailers and online platforms.
Experiment with ingredients such as aloe vera gel, coconut oil, or honey to create customized sea salt spray recipes.
DIY sea salt spray with olive oil
Step 1: Gather the ingredients. To make your homemade sea salt spray with olive oil, you will need sea salt, warm water, olive oil, a spray bottle, and optional essential oils for fragrance.
Step 2: Mix the ingredients In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of sea salt with 1 cup of warm water until the salt is dissolved. Sea salt adds texture and volume to your hair, creating a natural, beach-like look.
Step 3: Add olive oil. Next, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the sea salt mixture. Olive oil conditions and moisturizes your hair, adding softness and shine while reducing frizz.
Step 4: Optional essential oils for fragrance. Add a few drops of your favourite essential oil, such as lavender, rosemary, or citrus, for a pleasant scent. These oils provide a refreshing aroma and have additional benefits like promoting relaxation or stimulating hair growth.
Step 5: Transfer to a spray bottle. Carefully pour the sea salt spray into a clean spray bottle for easy application and even distribution.
Step 6: Application Before each use, shake the spray bottle well to ensure all ingredients are mixed. Apply the sea salt spray to damp or dry hair, spraying evenly from roots to ends. Use your hands or a diffuser attachment on low heat to enhance the beachy waves.
DIY sea salt spray without coconut oil
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
To make your sea salt spray, you’ll need sea salt, warm water, aloe vera gel, a spray bottle, and optional essential oils for fragrance.
Step 2: Mix the ingredients
Mix 1 tablespoon of sea salt in a small bowl with 1 cup of warm water. Stir until the sea salt is completely dissolved. Sea salt adds texture and volume to your hair and creates a natural beach look.
Step 3: Add aloe vera gel
Next, add 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel to the sea salt mixture. Aloe vera moisturizes your hair and keeps it healthy and manageable. It also soothes the scalp and promotes hair growth.
Step 4: Optional essential oils for fragrance
Add a few drops of your favourite essential oil for a pleasant scent. Choose oils like lavender, rosemary, or citrus oils, which not only smell great but also offer several benefits. Lavender promotes relaxation, rosemary stimulates hair growth, and citrus oils provide a refreshing aroma.
Step 5: Transfer to a spray bottle
Carefully pour the mixture into a clean spray bottle, ensuring all ingredients are well mixed. Use a spray bottle to easily and evenly apply the spray to the hair.
Step 6: Application
Shake the spray bottle before each use. Apply the sea salt spray to damp or dry hair, spraying evenly from roots to ends. Tousle or comb the hair with your hands to create beachy waves. Alternatively, use a diffuser attachment on a low setting to enhance texture.
In summary, a homemade sea salt spray is an easy way to add beachy waves, texture and volume to your hair. You can tailor the spray to your hair type and desired hold using sea salt, yeast, olive oil, and optional essential oils.
Sea salt spray has many benefits: It adds shine, promotes hair growth and nourishes the scalp. Incorporating it into your routine can improve your hair’s health and appearance.
Use the following techniques based on your hair type for the best results with sea salt spray. Use it to add volume and shine to your hair or to create beach waves.
To make your own sea salt spray, mix the ingredients, pour them into a spray bottle and apply to damp or dry hair. Shake it well before each application and experiment with the different application methods to find what works best for you.
Adjust the frequency of application to suit your hair’s needs. Moisturize and condition your hair to prevent dryness.
Unleash your inner DIY enthusiast and make a homemade sea salt spray that will add texture and whimsy to your hair. Your grandmother could do it, and so can you!